Nationalism, Religion and Violence in Europe 2018
The Summer Seminar on Nationalism, Religion and Violence (June 18-29, 2018) organized by the Charles University in Prague and Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, supported by the CEFRES–French Research Center in Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Slavonic and East European Studies (UCL), University of Birmingham, Humboldt University of Berlin, the Institute for the Study of Strategic Regions and with the kind support of the Department of Adult Education and Personnel Management of the Charles University has successfully completed its sixth year with a special focus on the topics of ethnic and religious diversity, migration, and transformation. A key goal of the Summer Seminar is to contribute in a substantial way to the study of violence and to catalyze the growth of the study of violence as a field.
The Summer Seminar focused on four interconnected themes. Every theme was discussed over two consecutive days, divided into three lectures with discussion and a fieldwork activity. Overall, the Seminar took place over 10 days, 60 working hours including fieldwork trips. In addition, a trip to the city of Teplice was organized.
June 18, 2018 – Program Opening
- Introduction to the program
- Keynote lecture: Stathis Kalyvas, Discussant: Paul A. Shapiro
- Welcome evening at Vaclav Havel Library: Round Table “Europe Between Xenophobia and Integration” with Paul A. Shapiro, Stathis Kalyvas, Elmira Muratova and Christian Voss (moderated by Katerina Kralova)
June 19-20, 2018 – Theme 1: Nationalism, Religion and Violence in Europe
- Sections with Uriya Shavit, Christian Voss, and Maria-Alina Asavei
- Fieldwork: Muslim community of Prague
June 21-22, 2018 – Theme 2: Europe & Islam
- Sections with Zahia Smail Salhi, Anissa Daoudi, and Anna Viden
- Fieldwork: “InBáze”
June 23, 2018 – Weekend Trip (The Muslim community of Teplice)
June 25-26, 2018 – Theme 3: Nationalism and (C)EE
- Sections with Andrea Petö, Ildikó Barna, and Valeria Korablyova
- Fieldwork: “Mozaiky o.s. Platform Dialog”
June 27-28, 2018 – Theme 4: Cultural Dimension
- Sections with Dietrich Reetz, Atina Grossmann, Kamoludin Abdullaev, and Mukhtar Senggirbay
- Fieldwork: Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty
June 29, 2018 – Official Program Closure
- Certificate Awarding with Kateřina Králová and Hana Kubátová (VITRI Research Center Director, JNMLP Editor-in-chief)
- Farewell evening
Minor changes in the final schedule may occur, if necessary.